License to Wed
For your wedding to be recognized in the eyes of the law, you’re going to need a valid Georgia marriage license before the big day.
There is no waiting period in Georgia; you will receive your license at the time you apply.
Requirements for Securing a Marriage License
- You must be at least eighteen (18) years old to apply without parental consent.
- You may be sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) with parental consent. Both parents or your custodial parent must sign for you if you are underage. The parents must accompany the minor applying for the marriage license and must have proper identification, such as a valid driver's license.
- All applicants must present a positive I. D. This may be either a Driver's License, a certified copy of a Birth Certificate, a Military I.D., a Passport, or a State I.D. card. Not acceptable are Social Security Cards, Insurance Cards, Credit Cards, Work or School I.D. cards.
- If either applicant has been divorced, please bring a certified copy of your most recent Judgment and Decree with the Judge's signature on the order along with you when applying for your marriage license.
- Both the Bride and the Groom must be present at the same time in order to apply for the Marriage License. The fee for the Marriage License is $66.00.
Probate Court Hours for Issuing Marriage Licenses
Marriage license are issued Monday through Friday between the hours from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (except holidays) in the Probate Court of Chatham County, (133 Montgomery St., Room 509, Savannah, GA. 31401)
Additional questions regarding the marriage license may be directed to 912.652.7277.
(Source: Chatham County Probate Court)